Founded in 1939 by Art and Dorothy Tockey, Napa Electric was a small one-room shop with only three people, providing electrical engineering and contracting services throughout Napa. During the years 1942 to 1944, Mr. Tockey was working as an electrical engineer for the Bureau of Ships on the Pacific coast, and that left Mrs. Tockey to carry on the business.
Beginning to expand, Napa Electric moved into a larger building in 1946 and was considered one of the most advanced electrical supply and retail stores in the North Bay area. The Tockeys continued to grow the business and add additional services. In 1962, they built a new electrical supply building that included a lighting fixture retail showroom. Napa Electric still occupies this building at 2240 Brown Street in Napa.
The current owner, Ruben Perez, has been with the company since 1972 when he began as an apprentice electrician. Ruben eventually became one of the owners in 1986. But, it wasn’t until 1995 that he left the field as a working electrician and joined the office staff in estimating and project management. Ruben’s dedication and commitment to the Napa Electric customers and employees has continued to make it one of the top electrical contractors in the area.